• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smoker

Smoker

Varminter

• 22 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

This is the second coyote shot with 22 mag CCI 30 gr V-max within the last two weeks.
Again I was on my way to this private property to shoot my rifle, on the way to to the shooting sight, I see this Coyote standing side ways on a flat rock looking at me. I could not believe it, I reached over very slowly and move the rifle into position to make the shot. When the trigger broke I saw him collapse going stright down on the rock through the scope it was instantly dead. I hit him just behind the head on the neck. I went over to look at it and again I could not believe what I saw. The Dog was bleeding out of the nose, mouth and ears it looked like a bomb exploded in his head. I measure the distance using a Nikon range finder the distance was 100 yards.

#2 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the info and I'll take your word for it, the 30gr. V-max is now a great yote round! The more I shoot the 22 mag V-maxs Rem/or CCI the more I like them. My Ruger VMBZ likes them both but a few years back I picked up 20 Boxes of the old Remington/CCI loading the ones in the paper Rem box with the "R" head stamp and they chronoed 2,100 +fps. I just had to have every box smile.gif you know same Lot# and all, so Ive got a few years of fox squirrel hunting left with that round, but have been buying the CCI V-max and putting them back.

#3 Smoker

Smoker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

My_Dog_8_13_2007_001.jpg This is the pictures of the other coyote that I shot in the neck with the
CCI 30 VMax

#4 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• 1,189 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

Smoker,

Good shooting, nice bullet placement. Very nice looking rifle, Annie?

Yea it is bleeding out the ears,mouth,etc.

The bullet seems to frag well at 100 yards regularly?

Do you still have the 453?

Looks like ideal bullet performance and placement to me cool.gif

#5 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

Smoker have you chronoed any of the 30V-maxs yet?

#6 Smoker

Smoker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Mag Check I have not check the speed of the 30 v-max, however I will be cheking in nex week I will keep you posted.

#7 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks smoker the Anshutzs always seem to give very high velocitys in the 22 mag must be twist rate or maybe the longer barrels. Im getting real good veloctiys out of the Ruger VMBZ but it to will give high velocitys with loads like the 30gr. +V and V-maxs. The old Feds use to get over 2,300fps. and still very accurate. But I think the 30gr. V-maxs maybe the most accurate load Ive ever shot in 22 Mag!

#8 Smoker

Smoker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

Yes I do have the 453 hummer and have shot a lot small game with it. Sorry for the slow responce
but I was having a problem with the computer.

#9 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• 795 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

Smoker,

What's with killing coyotes in August???

Perhaps you live in an area where coyote pelts don't bring much cash? huh.gif
19-223 Calhoon
22-243 Middlestead
6mm Ackley Imp
260 Ack Imp
6mmBR

#10 Smoker

Smoker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

This is the first time I have killed yots this time of the year. Normanly we do not start hunting until October, however I want to try the 30 V-max on a dog that is the rason I shot them before October. On the ranch we hunt they all year around, we have so many we trap over 150 a year and we are still loosing ground.

#11 SwampCat

SwampCat

Varminter

• 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

The Ruger M-77 .22WMR is the only predator rifle I've ever owned. Back in the 70s, a few years BC (Before Coyotes) the only predators in SC were the greyfox and the bobcat. I bought "Maggie" the year the m-77 came out in that caliber.
Most of my shooting is within 50 yards, so she's my 'yote gun.
I like the Rem. 33gr V-Max results and am zeroed at 100yds....

Edited by SwampCat, 20 October 2007 - 06:51 PM.

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,261 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

I've only shot three coyotes with the 22WMR. The first was very close...12 feet and went down quick with a 40g maxi-mag.

The 2nd was a small coyote shot with the 30g V-Max, broadside at 30 yards. I was surprised that the bullet exited the opposite side of the brisket. He ran maybe 30-40 yards but was dead on his feet, lot's of blood. The shot was in the narrow part of the brisket, I'm sure the heart was hit and I've seen coyotes run a ways even when their heart is destroyed by a centerfire.

The 3rd happened just today. Was the biggest, darkest coyote I think I've ever seen. Came in on the run and provided a broadside shot at 35 yards with the 30v-max. The shot was good but maybe a little further back than I would have liked...still should have taken out both lungs. At the shot he started the death spin while I'm jacking in a follow up round in the 77/22M he takes off running almost right toward me. The second shot was in haste and while I'm sure he was hit a second time, it was not where I wanted the shot to go. I'm certain he didn't go far but once the blood trail ran out, the super dense cover in the area made searching for too long just a waste of time. I would have liked to have recovered that one.

I'm positive if a centerfire had been used that animal would have been anchored right there. The area I was hunting allows rimfire or shotgun only. A shotgun would have laid him out on the spot too.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.