Marlin 917 VS CZ 452 Varmint

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• 728 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 PM
  • Interests:hunting, vapin varmints ,camping,backpacking,scuba diving,sky diving,skiing but mostly hunting.and working around the house on projects and playing with my awsome family

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

Ok so I want to sell/trade my custom 10/22 mag and i have a dealer who wants to trade me 2 Marlin rimfire varmint rifles 1 917vs- 17hmr and a 882 vs 22 mag..He says the marlins are hand over feet better than cz'z.. I have a Cz varmint 17 hmr and it shoots freaking awsome. I want to trade hime a and get a CZ 452 22 mag and ANY bolt action 17hmr for my 8 year old son...I keep tellin this guy. that I believe the cz is better and he replys the marlins are airguaged barrells and that the CZ barrell are molten forged not cold forged and that the bolts are better cause the marlins have a floating head...( it a rimfire????) anyway what should I do I just want the CZ and any bolt 17hmr am I wrong in thinking this...beside the cz feels great and looks great..something to be kind proud of when you take i out...please help me understand if this guy has a leg to stand on.. I may have to move on and find another buyer

#2 Goofycat

Goofycat

Varminter

• 593 posts
  • Interests:Jazz drumming; sports cars (mainly Porsches) and sports car races (the historic stuff); varmint hunting; motorhome travel

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

What the h--- is a "floating head?" I think the dealer's head is floating....somewhere up there in the clouds.

#3 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,888 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Marlins are accurate but the CZ's are the higher quality gun. I own a few Marlin bolt guns (5) and I can tell you that the CZ is the better rifle, all around.~AMMOe

Edited by AMMOe, 27 July 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#4 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:hunting, vapin varmints ,camping,backpacking,scuba diving,sky diving,skiing but mostly hunting.and working around the house on projects and playing with my awsome family

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

If that becomes the consenus around here I wont do the deal.. I love my CZ 452 it is smoother.. it has a significant less bolt travel . It locks up smoother.. it sounds and feels stronger when I cycle thebolt on the marlin it sounds like its a cheaper steel than the CZ.. I dont know its a good deal. I am ure he wants to do it cause he gets my Customized 22 mag

#5 Goofycat

Goofycat

Varminter

• 593 posts
  • Interests:Jazz drumming; sports cars (mainly Porsches) and sports car races (the historic stuff); varmint hunting; motorhome travel

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

It's a good deal.....for him. If the CZ works well for you, keep it! Good rifles that are accurate, comfortable to shoot, reliable and easy to load for should be kept, not traded.

#6 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,259 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

Don't let him get over on you, those 10-22 magnums are in high demand at the moment. $300+ for a plain jane used one. Yours being a custom, has to be worth every penny you have in it or maybe more. If Ruger starts making them again the value is bound to plummet though as far as I know they have no immediate plans for putting them back into production.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#7 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• 795 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

This seems like a good topic for the "RIMFIRES FORUM"
19-223 Calhoon
22-243 Middlestead
6mm Ackley Imp
260 Ack Imp
6mmBR

#8 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• 1,189 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

I think you already answered your own question.

I like Marlin a lot but, the CZ is a better rim fire in all areas. Besides the mechanics I can just feel it when you shoulder them.

Persoanlly........not sure why you don't just keep your custom Ruger 10/22 M and buy your boy a Marlin 17hmr? You already have a CZ 17hmr. Ruger 10/22 M's are cool cool.gif Fact IMO all rim mag semi autos are cool.

If you have a photo of your 10/22 M and can post I would like to see it. Whats it have on it?

May be getting hasty on your 10/22 M .............no hurry..........think about it.

#9 JP 2 Alpha

JP 2 Alpha

Varminter

• 626 posts
  • Interests:USPSA &quot;Production Class&quot; pistol shooting, reloading, bench rifle shooting, small game hunting, and vaporizing prairie dogs.<br /><br />I also enjoy reading, and playing videogames on my computer, Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Red @ Jul 27 2007, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't let him get over on you, those 10-22 magnums are in high demand at the moment. $300+ for a plain jane used one. Yours being a custom, has to be worth every penny you have in it or maybe more. If Ruger starts making them again the value is bound to plummet though as far as I know they have no immediate plans for putting them back into production.

Red, I heard the reason they disc. the 10-22 mag is they were having reliability problems. I also know they were having problems converting the mag to shoot the 17hmr. The 10/17 was in the catalog for a year i think. The story I heard is they were being cheap and slapping a hmr barrel on a plain jane 22mag without changing the springs or bolt, after lots of problems they gave up. mad.gif

redmistmd: IF your selling your custom mag I'd make sure you get what you want out of it! If a local guy won't give you a fair trade sell it on www.gunsamerica.com. As for the Marlin vs. CZ debate I have no doubt the CZ is a better rifle. He probably has a back room full of Marlins and wants to clear a few!

If someone has "magic powers" this might be better discussed on the rinfire forum........ unsure.gif

Edited by JP 2 Alpha, 27 July 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#10 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

Yeah after putting it all together he isnt local so he has to ship the Marlins to me and I have to ship the ruger to him. 25 buck to ship to him plus 30 per rifle transfer fee to a dealer here plus license registration here its atotal of about 100 bucks. I put another 100 with it I get a savage and keep my 10/22 mag.. Its a nice shooter I took a Boyds Thumbhole sillouette and streamlined the foreend and opend up the thumbhole are then shaped a palm swell.. And it shoots awsome anything under about 150 is toast everytime..

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0370.JPG

#11 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,259 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

JP,

I heard the same thing. I have one that functions well and has always shot well from day one. Originally from time to time it had trouble ejecting the final round in the magazine. That was easily corrected. But you're right there were some complaints, I was lucky enough to get one that was relatively trouble free.

As far as I know I thought the only thing needed to convert it to HMR was the barrel?

I honestly think the 10-22Magnum never really sold that well. It was only made available in the plain birch stock with iron sights on a lightweight barrel with that ugly barrel band. Not very pretty and the price tag was high compared to the 10-22LR. It also had to compete with the Remington 22M auto that was a better looking rifle with the laminate stock (IMO) for about the same price. Then, when the HMR came about, and the focus was on that round, I expect sales really fell off even more for the 10-22M. Just speculating of course but either way there are plenty of guys looking to buy one now.

I've considered selling mine from time to time but I know later on I'd be kicking myself. Here's a b4 and after.

I really need to get a better photo...

#12 JP 2 Alpha

JP 2 Alpha

Varminter

• 626 posts
  • Interests:USPSA &quot;Production Class&quot; pistol shooting, reloading, bench rifle shooting, small game hunting, and vaporizing prairie dogs.<br /><br />I also enjoy reading, and playing videogames on my computer, Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

[quote name='JP 2 Alpha' date='Jul 27 2007, 09:56 PM' post='100244']
[quote name='Red' post='100240' date='Jul 27 2007, 09:12 PM']

If someone has "magic powers" this might be better discussed on the rinfire forum........ unsure.gif
[/quote]

What??? Where am I???? unsure.gif blink.gif

After talking to Scott at Volquartsen I was under the impression you needed to buy a new bolt or heavier springs to make one work??? Oh well I don't need one of those hmr-things anyway.

I bought the 597 mag for small game. With a volquartsen target hammer and a Nikon 4-14 Buckmaster it does pretty well. Some have complained about the mags I've never had any problems though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 22mag_target.JPG

Edited by JP 2 Alpha, 28 July 2007 - 05:29 AM.

#13 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Nothing wrong with that! The biggest problem with the auto 22 mags was shooters not giving them a good cleaning and RFC! anim_rofl2.gif To many of the Ruger 22 mags shooters wouldnt leave the guns alone thanks to guys like Chief Dave mad.gif If they just left the guns alone and cleaned them when they were supposed to the guns would be just fine. wink.gif

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (JP 2 Alpha @ Jul 28 2007, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After talking to Scott at Volquartsen I was under the impression you needed to buy a new bolt or heavier springs to make one work??? Oh well I don't need one of those hmr-things anyway.

I'm sure he knows more than I ever will. It is certainly the case going from 22LR to 17HM2, but I thought 22M to 17HMR didn't require all that. Oh well I'm not changing it anytime soon anyway.

Nice groups!

oh and yes you've just been instantly transported through time and space to the rimfire forum via my magical powers laugh.gif (twilight zone music plays)

Edited by Red, 28 July 2007 - 07:06 AM.

#15 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 1,985 posts
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

redmistmd – I bought the Marlin 917VS and after I found out how much I liked the .17 HMR I started wishing I had bought the CZ. Now that I’ve had a couple years with the Marlin, I’m glad I bought it.

The CZ may be better looking but the Marlin didn’t need to have the barrel channel sanded out and it didn’t take a box or two of ammo before it started shooting good groups. If I had to do it over, I would take the Marlin again.

Having said all that, the Marlin is a fairly heavy rifle for an 8-year-old. If your son is going to shoot it from a bench, no problem, the weight plus the wide fore-arm will help. If he’s mostly going to carry it around, the CZ might be better. The length of pull might be another issue to check.

Given that the 10-22 Magnums are hard to come by these days, the dealer has something you can buy anywhere and you have something that’s hard to find. What ever you do, you have the upper hand so get what you want from that Maggie because you’ll probably kick yourself over it some day. laugh.gif