15 replies to this topic

#1 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Got a call yesterday afternoon to come out to a farm thats been having problems with some chicken stealing fox. I showed up with my HMR, the people that own the place showed me whats been going on and where to set up at. Got there about 8:oo and around 8:35 here comes my first shot, a nice Red fox at about 175yd. I got the scope on him but didnt hold high enough and shot right under him mad.gif well I stayed with my set-up and 15min later here comes another fox this time at 100yds. got the crosshairs right in the middle of his chest pulled the trigger and nail him! I couldnt believe how fast he went down, I mean the little V-max pole axed him! Only had one small trickle of blood and the bullet did not exit. The nice folks that own the farm were real happy told me to come back said they have seen 3 fox in all at there place so maybe more fox hunting tomorow.

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,045 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

Nice shot HMR-Check biggrin.gif Keep us posted....

#3 Jerry

Jerry

Varminter

• 727 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM
  • Interests:Drag Racing, ATVs, shooting

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

cool.gif . Good shot, I did not expect the HMR to do well with Fox at those ranges.

#4 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

Jerry, thats what I was thinking. This was a full grown Red fox but it wasnt a mature fox. It didnt have the weight yet, but bone structure was there. Still I was suprised at what the HMR did, and V-maxs even! Ive been shooting the V-maxs all summer snipeing turtles and crows smile.gif so I didnt want to change anything although it shoots the TNTS and the XTPs the same as the V-maxs out to 100yds. But stuck with the Vs for last night and glad I did. I'll be bring the range finder if I go tomorow night, that one at 175 won't get away with out getting one in the hind end next time! anim_rofl2.gif

#5 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

A friend of mine from Maryland has been dumping foxes with the HMR from the GitGo when all you could get were VMaxes, he's never complained about how well they work on a little old fox. Remember that foxes don't get much heavier than a housecat, they are just all hair, that makes them look bigger biggrin.gif Since my HMR shoots them so well, I wouldn't even think about using any other load.(Besides, my rifle gags on anything but them).

#6 skypilotbc

skypilotbc

Varminter

• 1,782 posts
  • Interests:Shooting sports of all kinds, amateur astronomer/astrophotographer,Bible studies, guitars

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Mag-Check,
Congrats on the "New" place and that you scored 1st time biggrin.gif
I've said it before that the HMR performs all out of proportion to its size--sometimes amazes me with the carnage it will cause cool.gif
Bob

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,450 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

And another true believer has been born!! cool.gif

Welcome to the Varminter HMR-Check!! tongue.gif anim_rofl2.gif

I carried my HMR with the XTP's loaded in case a coyote came around within 100yds. I had no doubt the V-Max would dump a furry fox. But it's good to hear another glowing report on the HMR. Thanks!!

I know you'll never leave ol Maggie & thats OK too. wink.gif

Do you think the Mag woulda been too hard on that particular shot if you were saving hides Mark??

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,045 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Glen @ Jul 26 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think the Mag woulda been too hard on that particular shot if you were saving hides Mark??

I shot a full grown female red last winter at about 100 yds with the Hornet and 35g V-Max. Tiny entrance and no exit. I guess it depends on shot placement?

#9 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

Skypilotbc, I think your right! Glen I have to be honest here smile.gif Ive been carrying the 22 mag with me for almost 30years, if you saw me in my pick-up you could bet I had some kinda 22 mag rideing along right there with me. So when the 17HMR came along and all the big talk about it, and people asking if the 22 mag was in its last days, well I got kind of defenseive. And Im if only one thing very loyal! Now Ive been shooting the HMR alot lately and its the one in the pick-up with me and I guess its growing on me a little. So maybe theres room for two "Magnums" in the Mag-check Chevy 4x4 laugh.gif I know Ive sure had alot of fun with the HMR in the last couple of months and thats what its all about isnt it?

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,045 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

OMG! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Guess I gotta get one too then wacko.gif

#11 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,450 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

MC-- I know you're loyal to ol Maggie. There's nothin wrong with that at all. I'm just glad you got to know the HMR a little better is all. I'm still looking for a 22Mag myself. I don't know what exactly I want so I'll just keep looking at them until something trips my fancy & buy it. biggrin.gif Dang the wife hates that way of thinking!! anim_rofl2.gif

Red-- I think you are right. I was wondering if the new 22Mag rd would tear it up too bad but probably on a more solid bone shot it would. I'll still carry my HMR with the XTP's unless I am targeting fox in an area where I don't think a coyote is an option.

#12 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Sorry about that Glen didnt answer your question smile.gif I think the 22 mag shooting 40gr. or maybe +Vs might have been a little ruff on Fox hides. The other TNTS, Rem Vs or Supremes I don't know. Might have to take the 22 mag VMBZ and some Supremes and find out.

#13 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Mag-Check @ Jul 26 2007, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So maybe theres room for two "Magnums" in the Mag-check Chevy 4x4 laugh.gif

what the hell is the world coming to . . .

rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

#14 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• 1,189 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

Good job Mark, something special about Fox IMO.

Not sure why some are surprised a HMR would drop a Fox or other critter that size quickly at 100 yards with placement to the boiler room,etc.? blink.gif The avid Fox hunters in Great Brit. luv them and have been using them for years now along with 22 Mags & Hornets. Wish I still had the Fox around here that they appear too have still. This area used to be great for Fox but the numbers have been down.

"tear them up" personally I don't see any rim mag or even 22 Hornets tearing up critters the size of Fox, Chucks,Coons,etc. I have shot several Fox with 22 mags and hp's and not one was ever torn up. I always thought rim mags were about ideal for Fox, sporting,effective,ethical and did not "tear them up". To pretty to tear appart IMO. From what I have seen on Chucks with the Hornets ditto and likely why my Gradfather used it. Don't see tear'in them up with any bullet from either rim mag and not likely from 40 grain and up Hornet bullets regardless of style either. The 35 V's and TN'T's from Hornets may give a bit more carnage than ideal on certain shots now and then though.

Anybody like the magazine FUR, FISH & GAME ? Look at this months issues cover. Nice Red Fox and apprently a story on calling Fox. I am going to pick it up ...........maybe today. I don't buy many mags these days,subsrcibe to none in fact. But, Fur,Fish, & Game was a favorite when I was a kid. Mostly because I traped.

Great little old time magazine smile.gif Not sure if it circulates the whole USA or just the North East, Mid Atlantic though? Anyways, if you get it in your area. Check out the nice Red Fox painting on the cover wink.gif (another thing I liked about F.F. & G. was the covers.......paintings rather than photos) and maybe pick up the ol timers with the Fox calling this issue.

Neat old magazine.

BTW- Anyone know much about the no longer manufactured Marlin Semi Auto 22 Mag with the walnut stock and sturdy,beefy looking receiver? A local gun shop happened to get a used one in............looks pretty cool. Asking about $350.00 as I remember. I remember Marlin made it up to so many years ago but never seen one around here,even back then.
Speaking of Marlin rimfires........Some have come through with the new,shorter clips and black synthetic stock with a differant pattern to them. I am not big on the stock looks..........but I swear, it seems the ol Marlin bolt action is getting is getting smoother, tighter ,nicer,etc. Same with the clip,clip feed, barrel play,etc. Kind of impressed with these latest Marlins I seen smile.gif . Seems like they may have tightened things up and tweaked things a little better.

#15 Jerry

Jerry

Varminter

• 727 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, ATVs, shooting

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

I always assumed that Fox were only slightly smaller than a coyote, but if they're that small it makes sense. I have seen very few Fox around my area (I havent been looking until recently though) to compare the two. If I see one and I have my WMR I'll feel comfortable then, just gotta find out what the season is for them. cool.gif