2 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy

Varminter

• Banned
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:17 AM

I just received my 2,006-07 Fur Trappers questionnaire from the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
Each year they send this to me even though I have not Trapped Game in decades. I do though still actively Hunt certain Furbearers (Wolverine and Bobcat) and for these pursuits I need a "Trappers License"!
Thus I get the yearly questionnaire sent to me, and along with the questionnaire comes an extensive synopsis of prices paid in the state for the pelts of all our Furbearers and Varmints (Beaver, Otter, Muskrat, Mink, Marten, Fisher, Wolverine, Bobcat, Coyote, Red Fox, Raccoon, Ermine, Skunk and Badger).
Coyotes are considered Varmints here in Montana and may be taken by ANY means 24/7/365!
Anyway the increase in Coyote prices has me "rethinking" my policy of giving the carcasses to my friends who take the time to skin and flesh them out and then sell them!
The average pelt price increase for Coyote pelts here in Montana has risen from $30.70 in 2004-05 to $38.50 in 2005-06 and now to $43.36 in 2006-07!
So if I would have kept and prept my own pelts last year I would have had enough money to buy myself a new Rifle!
Pine Marten pelts over the same time frame here in Montana have increased from $28.51 in 2004-05 to $74.31 in 2006-07!!!
WOW that!
I may have to take up Trapping again just to have some more "mad money" around to buy more Varmint Rifles with!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Edited by VarmintGuy, 26 July 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#2 Rich V

Rich V

Varminter

• 560 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 PM
  • Interests:Self bows, Rifles, Fly fishing, Beekeeping

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:33 AM

Wished we got that kind of money around here. Our average is $3.00 to $5.00. In the 70's I can remenber getting $80.00 for a prime red. Not anymore.

#3 VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

Rich V: Where is "around here"?
And if you are talking Red Fox then the average pelt price in Montana for the 2,006-07 season was $20.84!
I remember going to the Fur Auctions in Seattle, Washington when I was a 18 years old (or so) which would have been in 1964-65ish time period and seeing big Montana "Whites" (light and evenly colored Coyote pelts) selling for right at $200.00 each!
That was a lot of money back then! But the "furriers" (people who made the Coyote pelts into coats) happily paid through the nose for these pelts!
I have a Trapper friend here in Montana, who takes 200+ Coyotes a year and at least 50 Red Fox a year and he has people that drive FROM California TO Montana every spring just to buy his untanned pelts! Year before last he was selling Coyotes for as high as $40.00 and Fox for $25.00. These buyers simply got the pelts tanned and then sold them as wall hangings to tourist types. These people are obviously making a profit or they would not drive from California to SW Montana each year.
My Trapper friend also traps Beaver year round (he is licensed by the state as a "Nuisance Trapper") and when people complain that the Beavers are "wrecking their road, field, house etc" he traps the Beaver. Again he has buyers waiting for his skinned and fleshed Beaver pelts!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy