Career 707

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• 78 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 AM
  • Interests:Sportsman stuff: big game, waterfowl, coyote/PD, cottontail, <br />airguns, reloading, target shooting, archery, fishing. <br /><br />Other: logging, astronomy, cycling

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

My favorite non-firearm: Career 707 PCP lever action in .22 cal. If you've shot it, let me know what you think. I use mine for bunny bumping, squirreling, precision sniping of starlings, grackels, sparrows. After viewing posted videos, reminded me you can see the pellet path when sidelit by sun. Mine has a 3-9x Tasco 50mm, AO on lowish rings. Totally consistent for 80 shots at optimal power (950 fps) after charging.

#2 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

I got one...as well as the carbine...tanker...and even the 9mm ultra repeater. Mine is pretty darn accurate and currently set up to shoot 21 gr kodiaks shooting in the high 800s to low 900s...not too long ago took a squirrel past 80 yards. You forgot to tell them the trick of getting 80 shots though....

If I was to keep one hunting airgun, this would be one of the contenders.

#3 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Sportsman stuff: big game, waterfowl, coyote/PD, cottontail, <br />airguns, reloading, target shooting, archery, fishing. <br /><br />Other: logging, astronomy, cycling

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (varmintgetter @ May 31 2007, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got one...as well as the carbine...tanker...and even the 9mm ultra repeater. Mine is pretty darn accurate and currently set up to shoot 21 gr kodiaks shooting in the high 800s to low 900s...not too long ago took a squirrel past 80 yards. You forgot to tell them the trick of getting 80 shots though....

If I was to keep one hunting airgun, this would be one of the contenders.

You've got it made. I've been curious about the 9mm beastie. Does the tanker shoot like the full length? I was shooting fixed targets at 100yds the other day, no wind though. Don't know about the trick for 80 shots. The 14.3(?)g Premiers don't take as big a puff to head downrange just subsonic. Is there something else a guy can do to increase shots per fill? The one thing I don't like about my 707 is the stock drop--makes it hard to hold steady with a big scope. I sort of recall a newer version that has a straighter stock. Wonder if there's a retrofit. What other airguns would be contenders for your wun huntin' gun?

#4 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Driftin @ Jun 1 2007, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've got it made. I've been curious about the 9mm beastie. Does the tanker shoot like the full length? I was shooting fixed targets at 100yds the other day, no wind though. Don't know about the trick for 80 shots. The 14.3(?)g Premiers don't take as big a puff to head downrange just subsonic. Is there something else a guy can do to increase shots per fill? The one thing I don't like about my 707 is the stock drop--makes it hard to hold steady with a big scope. I sort of recall a newer version that has a straighter stock. Wonder if there's a retrofit. What other airguns would be contenders for your wun huntin' gun?

The Tanker is the LOWEST of the power because of the restricted air chamber compare to the carbine and rifle.

I now feed my rifle 21 gr Kodiaks as it works decently and it is within reasonable cost.

I only shot my 9mm for less than 40 shots...honestly I'll be selling a complete set of Careers (sans rifle) plus a AR6. I have a small leak on 2 of my guns (AR6 and Tanker).

I have no problems mounting a 4-12x40AO scope on my Careers..they fit well. I don't particularly like the high comb, my AR6 has one and even it came with a rear sight (it then broke at the back of the receiver..oh well), the comb just require such a high scope mount.

I have a B50 that I'll be taking the stock down because of this very reason..just annoying when hunting...great if you do only Silh matches.

You can contact the folks to see if they sell you just the wood...but for me, I'm perfectly happy with it's "original" stock.

Other hunting airguns (apparently I have a bunch and planning to off them finally).....First come to mind is my Webley Raider with HW barrel and Venom Viper (trophy queen)...compact and quiet and decent amount of shots....I can't ignore my Sheridan pump-ups (and not forget my Sharp pump-up), I did a stint with my Beeman C1, picked up a BSA Lightning XL to do that but I think I'll get rid of that in favor of my Webley Xocet in .22 in UK power mode....Just got rid of my "whacker" Webley Stingray in .25...Got my pair of R-1s (Venom in .20, and gas rammed in .22), For quiet work with power are my .177 and .22 set of AA S410Es...excellent to use...and my BSA Super10 fully shrouded and I have another one that I'll do some mods to.........it gets excessive cuz I know I have more.......though I did get rid of a decent amount (I think).

But if I was going to do a job right now..say a barn, I'll turn to my Raider right now

#5 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

"Apparently" you do have a bunch of airguns. And first class, too. I've enjoyed the few I've owned. Shooting opportunities are pretty easy to find here, but it's also nice to have a quiet plink or paper target shoot when I want to relax and focus on something simple.

I don't know the caliber/weight data for the Kodiaks. Is your 707 a .25? It must pack a punch. Do you want to share your way of extending number of shots? I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. Seems like I get those 80 (or so) before the pressure meter reads 150 and power drops.

Thanks for the photos. Drool-worthy. I'm sure the squirrel would agree.

#6 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:59 AM

My Careers are .22 and I like it that way.

I wasn't sure if you knew about the "wheel-up" method for careers where you fill to (3200), shoot about 18 shots, then click up one click (mine is modified ot have more clicks) to shoot another 15, then click up to shoot another 14 then click for 6....etc...all in all about 50-60 shots at about 37 ft-lb energy. I don't know how you get 80 shots though unless for me I use (much) lower power....Usually I do not let it go low on the gauge as the metering shots will be harder to regulate so I generally will top off after about 20 shots IF I use the pump or 40 with the SCUBA...and will run it down just a tad more if I hunt. If you do run down that low, I recommend using 2 or 3 tanks for "cascade" fill as not to run your main tank down on peak pressure. Use the lower pressure tank to fill the majority of the fill, then top off with the high pressure to maximize high pressure fills.

Depending on what power you like to shoot though. I like mine spitting out the 21 grain Beeman Kodiaks at about 880-920 fps range. IF I do use shorter pellets like CP, then I get more shots, If the bigger Korean pellets, then less shots. At one point I thought of shooting those super custom PCP and had a Falcon Tominator with Raptor action....only got 15 full power shots...that was just too low

That, I ended up selling about a month ago...I like more shots.

Since I have so much (sickness, to be sure) other "tools of the trade", I haven't "exclusively" used my Career for quite a few years (I'd say over 7 years) for exclusive hunting though I won't get rid of this airgun as I'll occasionally pull it out and realize how nice it is.. Each year, I like to pick a certain airgun to hunt for the season....I just haven't gotten around to it yet...partly because I now don't frequent my hunting spots that much as well as being too busy and stressed out for the past 4-5 year and working excessively.

I'm hoping to change all this late this year where I'll get back to doing an varmint elimination service again and get my accesses back.

Oh, btw, my Career rifle is also modified to the shuttle bar to accept Kodiaks AND the 29 gr Korean DaeSungs in one adjustment OR Kodiaks and CP, FTS, JSBs on another to have more versatility.

Then again, sometimes I'll crank the thing down and shoot at 300 fps for like 100s of shots as I recall.

The versatility is just awesome.

I am lucky for me living in CA that I have access to shoot, though I have to drive a bit. I have 5000 acres access my self and my buddies have about 40,000 acres. I mainly use the .17 HMRs now and started to play with the Hm2 cuz is cheaper (just bought a VQ SuperLight in Hm2)....of all my years of huntin' for places of 50 acres or more...the HMR is by far the MOST productive of all my varminting...it combines, price, power, accuracy, noise where I can pop off so much rounds and be productive. I also picked up a .22-250 to complement my .223 when I get a chance to "plink".

I don't seem to be winning the "get rid of things" game as soon as I sell something, I end up restocking with something else....I'm kinda mad at myself right now for that (cuz this week I picked up that .22-250, the Hm2, AND 2 shotguns, and sold 3 rifles one in .22, .17hmr, and .17 Hm2...I hope to sell off one more airgun to "even" things out)

QUOTE (Driftin @ Jun 4 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Apparently" you do have a bunch of airguns. And first class, too. I've enjoyed the few I've owned. Shooting opportunities are pretty easy to find here, but it's also nice to have a quiet plink or paper target shoot when I want to relax and focus on something simple.

I don't know the caliber/weight data for the Kodiaks. Is your 707 a .25? It must pack a punch. Do you want to share your way of extending number of shots? I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. Seems like I get those 80 (or so) before the pressure meter reads 150 and power drops.

Thanks for the photos. Drool-worthy. I'm sure the squirrel would agree.

Edited by varmintgetter, 05 June 2007 - 02:12 AM.

#7 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

You can't have too many guns. What if you can't find the one you want? Better to have it handy. Obviously you're already tuned into this truth. I have a .22-250 Rem700 Varmint I bought used for about $350. Total nail whacker. I use modestly loaded 55g, I think 36.5g of H380 (I forget the powder name, but anyway...) and get mid 3000s velocities. More important, groups are tight as a button.

How did you get into the varmint elimination thing? Just go door to door, ranch to ranch and leave a card and a chat? Sounds like a good outlet for your, uh, tendencies. Heh, heh.

I'm heading to western Wyoming in a coupla days. Maybe see some grouse (airgun legal) or squirrel, we'll see. Thanks for the awesome pix. They started a little twitch in my wallet that I'm trying to forget about.

Take care, good luck with the arms reduction program...you'll need it!!

#8 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Driftin @ Jun 7 2007, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did you get into the varmint elimination thing? Just go door to door, ranch to ranch and leave a card and a chat? Sounds like a good outlet for your, uh, tendencies. Heh, heh.

I grew up as a country boy so I was familiar with shooting and such..but then when I became a teenager..girls and cars were much more of a priority than shootin' sports...as I approached college and graduate school, I needed a stress reliever and the neighbor told me about high end airguns. Only thing I could afford was a very vintage Sheridan rifle for $140 (got sharked actually because the gun needed rebuild). It was a powerhouse and started to tinker with it and plink....somehow fantasized about "survival with an airgun" from articles I read (ok, it's cheezy but it was the truth). I picked up my shooting skills back quick and started making friends.

I found a friend when I was going to college who was rich and his parents had a 6 acre estate...I really didn't have a place to shoot so he invited me to shoot there..only at targets. Then his dad noticed I shot well and told me about some pests like rats and such at his property. I boldly told him that I can take care of it.

Well, within a few days, I took care of the problem..then word spread and I began a service.....this transgress to other forms of shooting utensils

#9 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

You were lucky to have the environment and contacts to get started, but sounds like you put the personal energy into making it come together for you. You've inspired me. I think I'll ask around and find who owns those PD-pimpled sections nearby. I know a few that offer "hunts" and would charge, but there must also be plenty of ranchers that just want to sleep better knowing someone's taking a bite out of their PD villas.

#10 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

I want to say that if possible, please stay humble and appreciative. I can't guarantee results but like I tell my kids: "you won't get if you don't ask"

I hope to pick it up some more after my current "personal" problem situation.

I figger that huntin and outdoors is my way of life that I'll keep doing....it's something that I hold dearly to and keep sacred.

#11 BigBo

BigBo

Varminter

• 20 posts
  • Local time: 06:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

I also have a 707, in .22. It sports a 44Mag, 6.5 x 20 mildot. It loves Priemer .22`s. Kodiaks do very well too. For the smakdown, I switch to CrowMags. I load the CM`s one at a time.

#12 Driftin

Driftin

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

Yup. Those Premiers feed and shoot pretty fine in the 707. I've stopped using anything else. It's hard to find a dive shop to top off the tank, and I don't want to "invest" in a hand pump. That's about the only problem I've had with it, other than the stock working loose and the bit of NOISE it makes if it's not muffled somehow. Kind of top heavy, too, but it can't be helped with all that steel above.