• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ronb

Ronb

Varminter

• 197 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 05:23 AM

I have posted a couple questions recently and very much appriciate the replys.

I do need to limit the dollar amount I am going to spend on an air rifle. I want the Goldfinger R9 but, that will prob have to wait.

I did find a RWS model 34 combo with a factory mount and 4x32 scope in . 177 for $225.00 locally. I can probably trade around and get this for very little.

Does anyone own one of these? If so, are they accurate and reliable? I understand they are over 1000 fps. but, I have also read on here..most think that is too fast for accuracy? What do you think?
I will only be shooting targets, birds and up close red and grey squirrels .

I am not worried about noise if they are loud as my nearest neigbor is 200 yds away and on my other property, thay are about 1/2 mile away.

How would this rifle compare to my old Sheridan? besides being much easier to load and only one pump as opposed to 8 pumps on the Sheridan?

Thanks,
Ron

#2 Jon

Jon

Varminter

• 485 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Don't worry about that 1,000 fps claim, it will never live up to it

Here are real world numbers on the 34.

http://straightshoot...e/ottest34.html
rimfireshooting.com

#3 Shakey

Shakey

Varminter

• 147 posts
  • Local time: 04:21 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

I have a Model 34 in .22 cal. and have been pleased with it. At 25-35 yards the acuracy is good and for pest control it gets the job done. I was going to get the 350 Magnum, but am waiting to get a look at the 460 first. The 34 will still hold a spot in the old heart though. It may not be fancy or have the greatest ballistics, but it works well and is fun to shoot. I would imagine the .177 version does what it's supposed to as well. Get one and enjoy it.

#4 varmintgetter

varmintgetter

Varminter

• 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

to be honest with you...in their stock form, a B/S pneumatic will be more powerful, accurate than those two....but you just have to pump it more.

#5 vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay

Varminter

• 52 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:58 AM

Friend has had one for years and really likes it. It will kill 2 pigeons if lined up with a Crowmagnum pellet. He has killed rabbit out to 60 yards with it. He shoots it quite a bit and is very familiar with the trajectory. That also sounds like a decent price with scope. As far as accuracy goes, it is harder to get a spring gun to shoot well, but experiment with hold and you can get some great groups from it.

Mike

Edited by vmthtr in green bay, 02 July 2007 - 02:00 AM.

#6 Shakey

Shakey

Varminter

• 147 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

I just got back from Northern California and had a blast popping ground squirrel with my Mod. 34. Out to 35 yards using Crow Magnum pellets the RWS works well. While it came with a scope I've almost always used the open sights with great success. I'm still planning on getting a new rifle, most likely a 350 Magnum, but the little 34 .22 caliber will still get a workout. Realizing there are more powerful guns on the market it's still a good workable field gun at a good price. I paid $169 for mine and have never regretted it. As a side note it is an accurate rifle out to 35 yards using the heavy Beeman Crow Magnum. Since I use mine for rodent eradication I prefer the heavy hollow point pellet. It definitely does a number on a ground squirrel.

#7 rev214

rev214

Varminter

• 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

i bought a rws 34 (.177) without scope from cabelas last year and have been very happy with it...
i've been shooting heavier pellets in it (9-10+ gr.)...

#8 JoeR

JoeR

Varminter

• 24 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

I got the RWS 34 Panther Combo in 22 back for fathers day. I've really enjoyed it and it's opened the world of accurate air guns back up to me after a 30 year lapse. The 4x scope works well enough, just do some shooting and get used to the trajectory.

I was using mine out to about 75 yards to put a domed pellet between the shell opening on turtles in my father-in-laws pond. Not every shot, but enough to reduce his turtle population in his pond. If I missed and didn't hit the shell, the turtle had no reaction to the pellet hitting the water.

I would like a 3-9 with target knobs or a mildot for accurate hold over, but with practice the 4x works ok.

Joe