marlin 783 .22 WMR prpblems

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• 67 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 PM
  • Interests:hunting , shooting , computers , electronics , muzzle loading , airguns

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

monday i bought a 1980 marlin 783 .22 WMR for $120 . i also got some remington ammo . it shot fine for iron sight sing in then i whent squirrel hunting with it the next day and it started to mis fire alot . i tryed some remington permiers and they were even worse 7 out of 10 misfierd . i tryed some federal 30 grain jhp and out of the whole box i only had 3 misfires . i have cleaned the gun thoguhly inculding the bolt between each shotting session , and the federal only misfired 1 time during scope sight it (shot 25 rounds) . i was wordering if i should keep trying difrent brands off ammo or should i have a gun smith look at it ? i was told by the shop i got the federals from if they didnt clear it up then to try some winchesters and or some cci maxi mags. im not sure what to do but i realy liek this gun and its in great shape i want to figure out whats rong and get it fixed (hammer spring ?).

#2 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,448 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

Matthew-- I would take the rifle apart & clean it real good 1st. Especially the bolt. HTH

#3 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

you got any pics of the fired rounds, Id like to see those rims.

#4 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:hunting , shooting , computers , electronics , muzzle loading , airguns

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

ok i took the bolt apart , and teh ection with the fireing pin was nasty ! full of sticky grease . also i thint the fireing pin needs replaceing after looking at were it is hiting the primer . but i can get that apart and back in so im going to order the parts to fix her up .

mag check here are some pics of teh fired rounds , the pimedr aint hit were it should be ....on the rim.

#5 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

To me, the firing pin hits look OK as does the location. Look to make sure that the striker cam (pin) isn't dragging on the wood (or anywhere else) , slowing the hit. The fact that you took a lot of goo out of the bolt body should help a lot. Had a .22 that was rendered useless due to sludge in the bolt. ~AMMOe

#6 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

ok i will check the cam pin , if its draging what do i do ? how do i even tell if its draging ? im glad the hits look ok , im wondering if it was a case of a dirty bolt and hard primers on the remington ammo .

#7 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 1,985 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 AM
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Are the cases in the picture those that misfired or are they cases that fired successfully?

I was wondering because I only see one firing pin hit on each case.

#8 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

these are the misfires , some took 3 hits , some were shot by just pulling the bolt back until it coked agin and then shot , those will have the hit in the same place(the realy hard looking hits). i realy didnt have that kind of troble with the federals , 3 mifires out of the whole box . the remys woud misfire 5 out of 10 .

these are the federals , the 3 misfired ones seem to be misign , but they shot the second time .

#9 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

You can tell if it's dragging by looking at the stock area under the tang, or looking for evidence of dragging along the sides of the slot. First off, try the rifle again with the clean bolt innards. That will probably do the trick. ~AMMOe

#10 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

thanks for the help and info guys, i wil test the rifle agin when we get some decent weather , its snowing here in Michigan .

#11 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

I'm sure it will work fine. I took my 883 out for a field test and liked it. It is very accurate and handy to carry; slung or unslung. I managed to nail a few rabbits with the 33 grain Remingtons. If I had any issue at all with tube feeders it's safety. You really need to look and look again to make sure the rifle is empty. Just dumping the magazine contents out won't often do it in older Marlins as sometimes the rounds hang up in the feed-end of the tube. I make sure to polish that red-orange plunger to bright so that I can easily see it from the open breech. ~AMMOe

#12 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• 1,189 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

Hmmm........... dry.gif

I wonder if CCI is having some problems. One of the reasons I called yesterday was because of the last lot of 17hmr VMax (6 boxs/300 rounds/same lot). I have has about 1 in 6 or 7 fail to fires. After re-inserting they fired. I reported the lot # to both them and Hornady (Hornady label).

Like mathew, my other ammo fired fine.

Prices are going up,hope quality control is not going down to boot. unsure.gif With the cost of ammo on the rise it's time to pull out the 22's..........they still whack varmints too.

Edited by plain old Bill, 09 January 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#13 on target

on target

Varminter

• 546 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

G'day Mathew

I just brought a second hand Bruno Model 2
22lr the first time i took it out same problem as you.The fireing pin would'nt strike propaly causing miss fire's .
New fireing pin and spring and no more probs

#14 matthew

matthew

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

i got some free time and have had a good look at my rifle . it dose look like the striker cam pin is draging on the left side of the slot . if i cock the gun abd look back there the pin is pushed up on the left side of the slot , and i looked on the left of the slot , there are marks from were it has been draging . i don't know what to do now as the warenty is over (i couldnt find time to take it back ) . is this something i could fix , or do i need to take it to a smith ? it will misfire 3 out of 50 of federal red box 30 gain jhp . now if i have to take it to a smith at least i know what is rong .

#15 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 AM

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

Send it back to Marlin let them go through the rifle thats what Id do. I owned 4 marlin 22 mags never had any trouble with them.