• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 badcopnodonut!!

badcopnodonut!!

Varminter

• 18 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have no experience with the ackley improved but a friend just had a t/c encore barrel rechambered in 22-250 A.I. and raves about it. My questions are: what are the ballistic advantages, disadvantages such as barrel wear, muzzle blast, velocity ect. I have a rem 700 sps in 22-250 that shoots a 40 gr v-max VERY well @ 3400 fps thru my chrony. I am not against spending $ to improve performance but.......... Any information will be appreciated.

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,302 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 AM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

You're only getting 3400fps with a 40 grain bullet in a 22-250? That's 223 velocity. You could easily attain 3900fps or more without pushing the envelope.

Thers's not a huge advantage over the factory round as far as velocity goes. 100-200 fps, about like a 220Swift. Not enough for critters to notice. The case design does not stretch like the factory 22-250 and has less bolt thrust. So, less case trimming, longer bolt lug life. More powder, less barrel life.

IMO, there's no reason to go to the Ackley design over the 22-250 unless you were rebarreling anyway, then it's not a bad idea. And when comparing groups with your buddy remember that the Ackley was chambered in a custom barrel, not a factory tube. Another thing to consider is the Ackley may not feed reliably from a magazine.

WAIT!, You say your buddy had a barrel "rechambered"? Unless it was set back (shortened at the breech and rechambered), it's not a true Ackley chamber.

Edited by Red, 01 January 2007 - 04:47 PM.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#3 JP 2 Alpha

JP 2 Alpha

Varminter

• 626 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 AM
  • Interests:USPSA &quot;Production Class&quot; pistol shooting, reloading, bench rifle shooting, small game hunting, and vaporizing prairie dogs.<br /><br />I also enjoy reading, and playing videogames on my computer, Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS.

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'm with Red, your really on the low side for that '250! My load is:

33.5gr IMR 4895
55gr Sierra Blitzking
Win case
Fed match large rifle primer

I get 3/4" to 1/2" @ 100 yards. Me velocity is 3600 give or take. If your pushing 40's the Sierra book says 36.8 gr of IMR 4895 is max.

If your after more velocity I'd dump more powder in the case. If your looking for more accuracy you should look twards a new barrel.... ANY time you burn more powder the barrel wears faster.

If your looking for "minute of gopher" the factory tube should be OK. I'd wait untill you wear that barrel out and them look tward AI id your still interested. Just my 2 cents.

#4 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

My 22-250 is Ackley improved. I see no real advantage in it. I have both his books and he states in it that all the cartridges he improved were not all improvments, the 22-250 was one he said himself was a miniscual gain. In other words I do not see too much it shoots great but so did the factory chambering, if you do it do not shoot hot factory loads to fire form cases they shoot fine but I have had a high brass failure rate I shoot a mild handload that shapes the case then full power AI loads and they seem to never fail. The neat thing about it is that standard 22-250 ammo shoots very well and that is a plus when you run out of ammo in the middle of nowhere.

-----~  <*(((((><

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,302 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:37 AM

There is a bigger gain in velocity percentage wise between the 22-250AI and the 223AI. There are several reasons I went with the Ackley,

1st) I wanted a fast twist to stabalize heavy high BC bullets. So I needed a custom barrel anyway.

2nd) To see any real advantage to using the heavier bullet, it needed a little more umph to flatten trajectory for longer ranges and achieve 3400 fps at the muzzle with 69-75 grain bullets.

3rd) Trimming brass is no fun.

I've had a very high success rate in firforming brass. It's not a mild load either. 60 grainer @ 3400 fps forms the case the first time and has been quite accurate although they do not have the range the 75's do at the same velocity in the formed Ackley brass.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#6 skb2706

skb2706

Varminter

• 969 posts
  • Interests:First and foremost a shooter.........I have always hunted and for the most part done pretty well. Definitely a better shooter. I hunt big game all over the state of CO including antelope, deer and elk. I between BG hunts I fill in with lots of prairie dogs and this year 2004 I am going to KS for a deer hunt. Just got hooked up for my first official coyote hunt end of Feb. 2004. I have access to lots of excellent prairie property and the hospitality is excellent too. Go figure my big sis married a guy that farms 12000 acres.

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

badcopnodonut said

"I have no experience with the ackley improved but a friend just had a t/c encore barrel rechambered in 22-250 A.I."

Very difficult to rechamber an Encore barrel to an AI correctly. Requires a significant amount of work and for me would not be worth it. If I were buying a custom shop barrel and having one made from scratch that would be different....I'd do it. I like my AIs and particularly my 22-250AI. Not a big performance gain, maybe 100 fps but they look cool and like the others have said virtually eliminates case trimming, shoots factory standard ammo and no big deal to load accurately.

Edited by skb2706, 02 January 2007 - 12:27 PM.

#7 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hornady and Federal factory ammo regularly reaches 4200fps with 40 grain bullets, in a 26" barrel, you're barely coasting! I clocked both loads at 4250 out of both a Winchester and a Savage, even a 22" Savage will beat 4100fps with factory stuff.
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#8 TA17 rem

TA17 rem

Varminter

• 90 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

I have a 22-250 and a 22-250 ackley, i shoot 52 gr bullets in both with the ackley pushing them 300 fps. faster. if most shots at pred. is under 400 yds. then the standard 22-250 would be fine. For shots past the 400 yd. mark is where the 22-250 ackley really shines. On paper the 300 fps. gain is'nt much, but out there in the field hunting the extra 300 fps really makes a big difference. if i ever build another 22-250 it will be an ackley thats for sure... Good shooting........

#9 badcopnodonut!!

badcopnodonut!!

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the info, I know 3400 fps is coasting, but that is where it most accurate. As far as case trimming goes, I purchased a rcbs power case trimmer last year w/ a three way cutter that deburs inside/outside and trims all in one step, really takes the work out of trimming cases. Thanks again everyone.